Saturday, February 2, 2013

Needles A' Flyin' - The Carpenter's Star for Baby H.

Baby H. is soon to arrive, and I wanted to make something special. What I can't figure out is how I did it. I mean, my house was a wreck - but it was like I was in super speed mode or something. I don't think I've ever had such a good "zone" ever in my sewing. There are always mistakes made that cost extra time, or distractions that pull me out of focus and extend the time I have to spend on something. Not this time. It was God's grace, as sure as I'm breathing. The babies were fantastic. Monkey was happy all day (not needy like he often is) and was content to "help" me sitting in my lap watching or playing with his own fabric scraps (in addition to plenty of time he spent happily amusing himself with more conventional toys.) Sweet Girl did as she usually does: slept or rolled around looking at stuff in her playpen, spent some time in her Exersaucer watching Monkey Boy play, and took occasional meal breaks. (God has blessed me above and beyond and has shown me His goodness in Sweet Girl. She is the easiest, most pleasant baby I have ever known! She is content for hours on end, fusses only if I drink lots of caffeine or sometimes if Monkey is pitching a fit, and unless she is very sleepy, she will smile for anyone. I am so blessed!) 

And here is Monkey distracting me. Train of thought = wrecked. So today I can't even complete a blog post in peace. Ah, well. *gathers thoughts*

I calculated it out, and I spent approximately 12.5 hours on this quilt, from start to finish. What gets me is that I started it on 5:00pm Thursday and finished by 5:20pm Friday, just in time to wrap it, gather Little Girl's things, throw on some nicer clothes, and get to the baby shower. It was literally hot off the press. Ah, it kills me! The babies were so good. By God's grace I was able to keep everyone happy and fed...AND work on the quilt. I'm still dazed. It was so fast I didn't even have time to get attached to it! It is so weird! But here it is, a 36''x45'' Carpenter's Star for little baby H.! I was aiming for updated gender-neutral, but I think it ended up looking even more grown-up than I had anticipated. C'est la vie - I love Carpenter's Stars no matter what colors they are.

The quilting design from the back. I tried to switch patterns between the pieces so that the star's design would stand out better.
The center star has a chrysanthemum-like pattern, the large white squares contain my "signature" freehand (that I used on my first baby quilt), the small white squares are filled with loops, the space outside of the star is more chrysanthemum-cloud-things, and the side points have loopy stippling.  All done on my Brother SE400! (I love you, Faithful Bernina Matic, but you don't have automatic needle-down thingamajigger or adjustable speed.)
Carpenter's Stars are my favorite!