What do you pack when you're preparing for a hospital birth? Leaning, this one's for you. :)
To begin - everything that is in this bag is a must. You'll want to shower eventually, and you'll want something better than the itchy, super-sterile-smelling, sliver of a bar of soap they provide. You're about to work really hard and you'll want to freshen up and smell nice afterward- so pack accordingly. Be sure to pack for your husband, too!
Beyond the Hospital Survival Bag, you'll want to pack:
The Car Seat
- have it installed and ready to go (we usually put ours in about 2 weeks before the due date)
Clothing - Mother
- socks (in case your feet are cold from the A/C)
- a gown (I never bothered, but if you want to bring your own...)
- your most comfortable pj's (for after you're cleaned up and they're done massaging your uterus, checking your bloodflow, etc. - usually the second day you're there. You'll wear a gown until then.)
- nursing bra and/or nursing tank (for when you can wear your comfy pj's - also, my milk comes in early, so I wear it under the gown on the first day)
- a comfortable outfit to wear home (or wear your pj's)
- high-waisted panties (the hospital may provide disposable ones - actually, they're pretty comfy and stretchy, they look like pantyhose that are cut off at the thigh)
- a bag for dirty laundry (they may give you a large, clear plastic bag for your belongings when you strip down in triage)
Clothing - Father
- clean change of clothes (undies, socks, t-shirt, shorts/pants, belt)
Clothing - Infant - Note: you don't know what you're having or how big he/she will be, so bring:
- size NB onesie (gender neutral, or one boy, one girl)
- size 0-3 month onesie (gender neutral, or one boy, one girl)
- size 3-6 month onesie(gender neutral, or one boy, one girl)
- "going home" outfit (gender neutral, or one boy, one girl) (I just take them home in whatever's comfy - Sweet Girl went home in a short-sleeve coverall and socks)
- socks/booties
- receiving blankets (the hospital will provide as many as you need while you stay, but you'll need several for the ride home. Bring 6 or more - you may end up rolling several into "logs" to keep baby's head from lolling while he/she's in the car seat on the way home, plus they're super-useful to have on hand as blankets, swaddling, spit rags, etc.)
Toiletries (Not included in the Survival Bag)
- nursing pads (such as Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads, for leak protection)
- sanitary napkins (I use these to start with (1-2 weeks) and these once the flow has let up a bit, until I quit bleeding)
- facial moisturizer (if you use it)
- make up (because you might want a bit of color on your pale cheeks, or a touch of girly to your eyes once you've delivered your lovely little one. I feel pretty if I've got a bit of something on my face and it helped me maintain my dignity in a sterile place where they poke and prod you hour after hour, even after the baby is born. :)
Miscellany
- extra tote bags (it never ceases to amaze me how our stuff multiplies at the hospital...plus, you may receive food or gifts from visitors that will need to go home with you somehow. And it is far easier to just throw everything into bags and sort it out later.)
- pillow(s) (I love to have my own pillow at the hospital. Just like when you travel, it's a piece of home, something familiar in a sea of change.
This is all I can think of that I have packed...if I'm missing something, please comment! The hospital can and will provide many of the things you'll need for the baby, such as diapers, wipes, any lotions or soaps necessary - unless you'd rather use your own. :)
1 comment:
If you take your own pillow to the hospital, use a non-white pillowcase to make it obvious that it's your pillow and not the hospital's :)
Post a Comment